Follow the instructions below to install and test the software you will use for your Spring 2020 exams. It is critical that you test the software by completing a practice exam.
You will use two software applications to take your exams:
To answer the exam questions (including multiple choice, if applicable)
- Exam4 DocumentViewer
To view the exam questions
Please note that the exam software only supports the following operating systems:
- Windows 10
- Windows 8.1
- macOS Catalina (10.15 or later)
- macOS Mojave (10.14.6)
- macOS High Sierra (10.13.6) Some users with macOS High Sierra may experience issues. In those instances, it will be necessary to upgrade to a newer version of macOS.
In addition, you will need access to the Internet when you start your exam (to access the exam questions) and end your exam (to submit your answers).
If you have an old copy of the Exam4 software, it has expired. You must reinstall the software.
Installing Exam4 DocumentViewer
After installing both the Exam4 and Exam4 DocumentViewer software you need to complete a practice exam. Taking a practice exam will ensure that these applications run as expected on your computer. It also gives you an opportunity to familiarize yourself with the interface. We encourage you to complete the practice exam as soon as possible so there is enough time to resolve any issues that may arise.
Step 1: Plug in your computer
Step 2: Restart your computer
You should restart your computer prior to each exam to improve software performance.
Step 3: Launch the Exam4 application
- Click the 'Check network connection' checkbox to verify that your network connection is working
- Choose 'Prepare to start new exam'
- Type your Wake Forest username in both Anonymous Number fields
You should use your anonymous number when taking an actual exam. Your anonymous number is available on the My Profile page of the law school Intranet.
- Confirm that each of your courses with an exam appears in the Course drop-down menu
Do not select any of your courses... Just confirm that they appear in the list.
- Select 'Practice Exam' from both Course drop-down menus
- For the exam mode, type OPEN in the text box
- Two additional text boxes will appear... Type NETWORK in the bottom text box
You will take all of your exams in the OPEN LAPTOP + NETWORK exam mode.
- Click the 'Begin Exam' button
- Type the following honor pledge at the top of the exam:
I promise that I will follow the instructions of this exam and the spirit and letter of the Honor Code.
Your professor may provide an alternate honor pledge when taking your actual exam. By default, this text will be included in the word count for question 1. You can insert an additional answer separator to get an accurate word count in the Document Stats panel.
Step 4: Launch the Exam4 DocumentViewer application
- Type exam.law.wfu.edu:4577 in the document server address field and click the 'OK' button
- Type PRACTICE in the Document Code field and click the 'Fetch...' button
Your professor will provide a document code prior to the start of your actual exam.
- Confirm that a document titled "Practice Exam" loads in the document viewer
You can adjust the width of the document viewer window as needed.
Step 5: Return to Exam4 to complete your practice exam
Keep the Exam4 Document Viewer open in the background
- Click the 'Multiple Choice' button to practice completing multiple choice answers in Exam4
You can use the 'Next' button, your mouse, or the arrow keys to navigate between questions. Please note that your answer is locked once you move to the next question. To change your answer, click 'Unlock' to the right of the answer choices. Click the 'Hide' button when you are done answering all of the multiple choice questions.
- Practice typing essay answers into Exam4
You can insert answer separators using the 'Insert Answer Separator' checkbox or by selecting this option from the Tools drop-down menu.
- Type the following honor pledge at the bottom of the exam:
I promise that I followed the instructions of this exam and the spirit and letter of the Honor Code.
Your professor may provide an alternate honor pledge when taking your actual exam. By default, this text will be included in the word count for the last question. You can insert an additional answer separator to get an accurate word count in the Document Stats panel.
- Select 'End Exam Now' from the 'End Exam' drop-down menu
- Click the 'Submit Electronically' button
You should see a green 'Exam Submittal Successful' message.
Step 6: Close the Exam4 application
Step 7: Close the Exam4 DocumentViewer application
If you experience any issues while installing or testing the Exam4 and Exam4 DocumentViewer software, please contact the IT Department Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org or, during regular business hours, at 336-758-4300. If you experience technical issues during an actual exam, please call the IT Department Help Desk at 336-758-4300 and select option 1. If you experience an emergency that is not related to your computer or the exam software which impacts your ability to start or finish your exam, please email Dean Tracey Coan (email@example.com) or Dean Wendy Parker (firstname.lastname@example.org) for assistance. One of them will help students from afar, just as they would if students were taking their exams at the law school.
Exam Day Checklist
Please review the Exam Day Checklist to confirm that you have everything you need to take your exam and to familiarize yourself with the process for starting and ending your exam.